2013/02/02

Derek Sensei's Corner


Since it's been so cold outside these days, I've admittedly been a little homesick for Florida.  I really miss hanging out near the beach with my friends without freezing to death.  In fact, my friends and former coworkers were outdoors enjoying the wonderful Florida sunshine last weekend at a local festival in Tampa called Gasparilla.

Gasparilla is a fairly old tradition that celebrates a Spanish pirate, José Gaspar, who supposedly sailed into Tampa Bay around 200 years ago to plunder the local population.  People wait for hours with food, drinks, and music for a recreation of Gaspar's ship to sail into the harbor.  They later watch or take part in a pirate parade on the city's main boulevard, where they catch as many beads as possible.  While I'm happy to be living and working in Mihara, this celebration is one of the things I truly miss about home!  Check out these photos of Gasparilla!





0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿